Dehydrated skin is a sign your body is giving you to rethink how you treat your skin and how you need to change your skincare routine. In this article, we talk about the best skincare for dehydrated and acne prone skin. We will also introduce Hydrafacial, a treat for your skin.
Dehydrated Skin vs. Dry Skin; How Can You Tell the Difference?
At first, we need to differentiate between dehydrated skin and dry skin. Dry skin is a skin type; you know you have dry skin when your skin feels tight with no oil on it. The cause of dry skin is the low number of oil-producing glands you were born with. If you have dry skin, it will always remain dry; no other factor affects it. For example, you don’t get dry skin after surgery; you get dehydrated skin.
Now, what causes dehydrated skin and what are the signs? That takes us to the next part of this article.
What Is the Cause of Dehydrated Skin?
Dehydrated skin has a different story from dry skin. You can have dehydrated skin regardless of your skin type. This means that you can have dehydrated skin with oily or sensitive skin. Most of the time, dehydrated skin is a cry for help. Whether it’s a result of harsh skincare products, using products containing alcohol or fragrances, or strong scrubs or cleansers, you need to change your skincare routine in order to save your dehydrated skin.
What Are the Signs of Dehydrated Skin?
If you are still unsure about whether you have a dry skin or a dehydrated one, here are some of the common signs of dehydrated skin:
- Itching: dehydrated skin itches, especially in weather that drains extra moisture from your skin.
- Dullness: since dehydrated skin doesn’t have enough moisture, it can’t glow like normal skin.
- Sensitivity: you might experience more irritation as your skin becomes dehydrated.
- Showing fine lines: dehydrated skin shows fine lines and wrinkles more than normal skin does.
How Should You Treat Dehydrated Skin?
As mentioned, you should be kinder and gentler to your skin if you experience skin dehydration. Here is what you could do for your skin:
- Use gentle cleansers and avoid harsh scrubs;
- Keep skincare products alcohol-free and apply them every other day to see how they work;
- Pay attention to hydrating agents in your skincare products.
How to Hydrate Skin?
The best skincare routine for dehydrated skin is a one that has certain hydrating attributes. Here are some ingredients to look for in skincare products when you are planning a hydrating skin routine:
- Hyaluronic acid (HA) is the most famous hydrating ingredient, well-loved by almost everyone. It makes your skin plump and bright, and reduces the appearance of wrinkles.
- Glycerin is another popular humectant you want to include in your skincare routine. It pulls the moisture to the deeper layers of your skin and softens it.
- Shea butter is also great for a softer and smoother appearance.
What about HydraFacial?
Hydrafacial is a non-invasive treatment that deeply cleanses, exfoliates, and hydrates the skin, removing congestion from pores. While it takes months for other skincare products to nourish, moisturize, and replenish dehydrated skin, treatment with HydraFacial is quick and effective. Therefore, if you are experiencing severely dehydrated skin and acne, we advise you to consider a HydraFacial treatment.
What Did We Learn Today?
This article discussed the best skincare routine for dehydrated skin and walked you through the steps you can take to calm your itching, irritated, and dehydrated skin by choosing the right hydrating products. We also introduced Hydrafacial treatment which works much better and faster than skincare products.
Dr. Zarrini, at Beverly Wilshire Aesthetics, is a board-certified MD renowned for his non-invasive skin treatment approaches. Contact Dr. Zarrini today to learn how we can help with your dehydrated skin.